List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE with translators
From:       Stephan Johach <lucardus () onlinehome ! de>
Date:       2004-08-19 17:46:04

Hi!
Am Donnerstag, 19. August 2004 16:25 schrieb Jeroen Wijnhout:
> On Thursday 19 August 2004 16:22, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
> > Torsdag 19 august 2004 09:47 skrev Gérard Delafond:
> > > Example : how do you translate "Display options" ?
> >
> > That is indeed a problem that is most easily solved by thedeveloper
> > putting in a translators comment saying e.g noun-noun or verb-noun
>
> Aaaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
>
> That is solved by the translator running the program of course!

Ok, then please translate kdevelop. Install every supported programming
language and developer tool. Then create a project of each possible type. Try
to use every feature. Try to produce every possible error.

I have to dig in manuals or search google to avoid errors like translating the
string "subversion" which is actually a software. We have many errors like
this since most translators do not have the "business knowlegde" to know
about tools like "Subversion" or "Project View".

I actually try to run every GUI I translate but it is impossible to check
every possible function. At least for more complicated programs.

The german team does not have the manpower to proofread
and double check every translation. We need user feedback and
help by the developers.

Stephan

--
Gegen Software-Patente!