List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] And so it begins (libkdeedu)
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-31 12:56:05

On Friday 31 May 2002 02:30 pm, Sebastian Stein wrote:

> 1. we have a XML file with the data between tags
> 2. we have a DTD to describe the structure of the xml file
> 3. we have a parser to get the data out of the xml file (QDOM)
> 4. what do we need else?

> If QDom is not a parser and you can not get the data into a structure which
> can be used within the app, it is ok to write a lib.

That's precisely it.  QDom really doesn't do all of the work that is normally
called "parsing".  It's a framework that makes that task easier (but still
not trivial).  The difference that we're talking about here is could be
compared to an SGML "parser" and an HTML parser.  Let's say that there was a
generic SGML parser in the KDE libraries.  There would still be a need for
the specific case of SGML, HTML, parsing in the libraries, because people
don't generally work with SGML in a general sense -- they work with a
specific implementation of it (in this case HTML and we do in fact have
KHTML).

At any rate, I think that we're (as we would say) beating a dead horse.  All
of the people currently using or planning to use the parser think this is a
good idea.  I think it is more useful at this point to focus on what the API
and structure of the library for parsing these files should be than to debate
if it should exist.  Ewald and myself have both written parsers and Annma
gave it a try, and we all agree that sharing the code for doing it is a good
thing.

-Scott