List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] And so it begins (libkdeedu)
From:       Sebastian Stein <s5228 () informatik ! htw-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-05-31 12:30:36

Scott Wheeler <wheeler@kde.org> [020531 14:20]:
> No, I think a good guess on a simple parser is roughly 100 lines of code.
> Plus you have to learn how to do it.  It took me about 5-6 hours to learn how
> to use QDom and to write the parser, and I think I'm more familiar with XML
> and the Qt libs for parsing since this was my second parser.

Ok:

1. we have a XML file with the data between tags
2. we have a DTD to describe the structure of the xml file
3. we have a parser to get the data out of the xml file (QDOM)
4. what do we need else?

> Now, the other big thing is that it takes 100 lines of code just to read one
> of these files.  Saving them is a different matter.  If a developer, Annma
> The concept of abstraction comes to our aid here and is the basis of object
> oriented programming.  One of my computer science professors repeated many
> times that 90% of the problems in computer science can be addressed by adding
> another layer of abstraction.  That's what we're doing here.  We're hiding
> the XML layer of things and hope to provide easy to use data structures
> instead.

If QDom is not a parser and you can not get the data into a structure which
can be used within the app, it is ok to write a lib.

Steinchen
--
http://www.hpfsc.de/ - die Seite rund um:
Assembler, Bundeswehr, TFT LCDs, Halle/Saale, Fahrradtouren,