On Friday 31 May 2002 02:30 pm, Sebastian Stein wrote: =20 > 1. we have a XML file with the data between tags > 2. we have a DTD to describe the structure of the xml file > 3. we have a parser to get the data out of the xml file (QDOM) > 4. what do we need else? > If QDom is not a parser and you can not get the data into a structure whi= ch > can be used within the app, it is ok to write a lib. That's precisely it. QDom really doesn't do all of the work that is normal= ly=20 called "parsing". It's a framework that makes that task easier (but still= =20 not trivial). The difference that we're talking about here is could be=20 compared to an SGML "parser" and an HTML parser. Let's say that there was = a=20 generic SGML parser in the KDE libraries. There would still be a need for= =20 the specific case of SGML, HTML, parsing in the libraries, because people=20 don't generally work with SGML in a general sense -- they work with a=20 specific implementation of it (in this case HTML and we do in fact have=20 KHTML). At any rate, I think that we're (as we would say) beating a dead horse. Al= l=20 of the people currently using or planning to use the parser think this is a= =20 good idea. I think it is more useful at this point to focus on what the AP= I=20 and structure of the library for parsing these files should be than to deba= te=20 if it should exist. Ewald and myself have both written parsers and Annma=20 gave it a try, and we all agree that sharing the code for doing it is a goo= d=20 thing. =2DScott _______________________________________________ kde-edu-devel mailing list kde-edu-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-edu-devel