List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Re: still kdeedu
From:       Éric Bischoff <e.bischoff () noos ! fr>
Date:       2002-04-26 7:23:29

On Friday 26 April 2002 09:01, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > The translations inside the XML file itself can go through the i18n
> > process too or not. For ktuberling they don't do that anymore, the
> > persons adding localized sounds are now supposed to modify directly the
> > XML file. Recording sounds is such a work that it doesn't change much to
> > have this small extra work done without kbabel.
>
> My problem with this approach is not the amount of extra work. My problem
> is how to make sure that _every_ translation team is aware of requirements
> like this.

I added a technical reference part in ktuberling's documentation that explains
that. But it's true that we cannot expect every translator to be aware about
such facts. The only way to ensure it goes through the translation process is
to go through the po mechanism.

This problem is not limited to ktuberling's sounds and kdeedu's hangman words,
or klettre's spelling syllables. We have exactly the same problem with the
tips files or the HTML splash screens.

The XML file approach is not incompatible with the po file mechanism. The only
problem is that the developper must gather the strings from every po file to
put them into the multilingual XML file. This can be achieved, as I already
said, by a script. This XML file in turn can ensure an Italian user can play
hangman in German or teach his/her son the pronounciation of English
syllables.

> The only effective solution so far was to have a POT file pop up in
> kde-i18n/templates with some strings to translate and a few comments what
> these strings are about.

Yes, and this pot file can be generated out of a hangman.i18n file for
example.