List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Fwd: Re: still kdeedu
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-26 8:51:53

Subject: Re: still kdeedu
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:24:24 +0200
From: Michal Rudolf <mrudolf@mercury.ci.uw.edu.pl>
To: kde-i18n-doc@mail.kde.org

I don't think that data for such program as KHangman should be translated
(i. e. that we should use i18n() for them). Basically translator may want
to use some other words than used in original version. Moreover, there are
word lists available for many languages, so perhaps we could use them with
no or very little effort.

Simple solution is to put files in
$KDEDIR/share/apps/khangman/dict_LANGUAGE.txt, f. e. dict_EN.txt, dict
DE.txt, dict_PL.txt.
Text files could be used, as there is default charset for every language,
but we could utf-8 them if we want.

Application than will search for dict_CURRENTLANGUAGE.txt. If not present ,
we could use dict_EN.txt. Moreover, we could easily add any language
support, allowing user to choose any of existing languages for that
application.

The solution above is not perfect, as it puts dictionary files (and
 learning files for other apps etc.) in kdeedu package, instead of putting
 them into kde-i18n-LANGUAGE.
Perhaps we could create directories in $KDEDIR/share/locale/LANGUAGE,
f. e. $KDEDIR/share/locale/LANGUAGE/apps/khangman?
Or simply move such files from kdeedu to kde-i18n and still install them in
$KDEDIR/share/apps/APPLICATION. I prefer the second, as we could easily
find all dictionaries present.
--
Micha³ Rudolf