List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: can't rename my desktop icons
From:       Malte Starostik <malte () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-31 13:33:40

Am Dienstag, 31. Juli 2001 11:16 schrieb Thomas Strauss:
> Hi,
>
> did anything change in the desktop-area?
>
> After updating kde* from cvs, I found my cdrom-symbol renamed
> "Dateisystem". Trying to rename it to "Plextor" failed.
>
> When checking the internals of the desktop file, I found the following

[snip]
> So if I use rename on the desktop:
>
> The desktop-file itself is renamed
> The entry "Name" is changed
> The entry "Name[de]" remains unchanged
> The entry "Name[de]" is displayed on the desktop
>
> So it looks like the icon rename had no effect.
>
> When the desktop file does not contain the "Name[de]" entry, everything
> works as expected.
I had the same problem, after an update I found many items on the desktop had
been renamted to the default (like xawtv showed up as "xawtv" instead of "TV"
as I named it, some others showed up as something along the lines of "Link to
Application"). You can empty the "Name" field on the last tab in the
properties dialog ("Programme" in de_DE) to remove the [de] name.

--
Malte Starostik
PGP: 1024D/D2F3C787 [C138 2121 FAF3 410A 1C2A  27CD 5431 7745 D2F3 C787]