List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Printer configuring
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <gassauer () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-31 13:20:42

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 14:23, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> > Hmm!
> > For experts this shouldn't be a problem, but KDE is aming towards other
> > usergroups. Any way to handle this papersize problem more userfriendly,
> > at least a warning, that the page size (and /or orientation?) does not
> > fit ?
>
> Seems to me quite difficult to achieve. This implies to directly access the
> hardware (printer) and ask him "hey! what page sizxe do you use?". This
> probably could be done with PJL, but surely not portable for any printer
> and/or printer backend (think of a remote LPD queue). In other cases you
> can still do stupid things:
>   - use CUPS
>   - install a printer and set default page size to A4 in the driver
>   - put Letter pages in the input slot
> This is stupid, but you can do it, and there's no way for the client to
> know there's Letter pages in the slot. This is more a matter of correct
> printer configuration. And changing the page size is not such a big issue:
> here we're talking about 2.1.2, with the old Qt print dialog where the page
> size is directly visible.
>
> IMO, what could be done to avoid part of the problem, is to integrate the
> default paper size into localization settings, so that the default page
> size will always be correct.

Or at least a question in kpersonalizer ( I know I have a different or
extended opinion on the purpose of kpersonalizer ;-).

OT
IMHO it should lead the user to a functional desktop without digging through
kcontrol, hence asking for printing, mail/news settings and font size and may
be others.  These settings are at least as important as styles and other
optical effects.

--
cu
ferdinand