List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Starting of applications
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-06-08 13:34:27

Dne pá 8. červen 2001 13:58 Derek Fountain napsal(a):
> > OK, but there's the other way round: when I start something on desktop 1,
> > and while it's appearing I don't want to wait, I want to go and do/read
> > something else om another desktop, I still want the window to appear on
> > desktop 1. (And I'm not the only one, based on the number of people that
> > asked for the "appear on the desktop it was launched" feature on
> > bugs.kde.org and elsewhere).
>
> Yep, that's the other view point, which is just as valid as mine.
>
> > I think that rapidly switching desktops to make the new window appear on
> > the new desktop is a hack, a workaround, and that you should use "send to
> > desktop" instead ;-)))))))  Ok, that wasn't very tolerant ;-)

 Agreed.

> I consider it a shortcut which saves a bit of mousing.  :^)  Actually,
> there's a question: is it possible to arrange a keyboard shortcut to send
> to desktop? Say, Alt-Shift-F1 to send the current window to desktop 1?
>
> > And here we go.... YACOIK (yet another configuration option in
> > kcontrol....)  :(

 Wouldn't it be better to have a keyboard shortcut for action called
something like 'send the window that was active on the previously active
desktop to the currently active window' ? It shouldn't be that difficult, I
can do it next week.
 Either way, if any of these two things is going to happen, it would be good
if somebody added the necessary i18n() texts before the message freeze. I can
write the few lines necessary next week, I'm now leaving for the weekend.

> I was happy with the view someone else gave sometime ago, that not every
> weird and wonderful option should have a GUI interface. If the concensus is
> that the "KDE Way" is your way, and that I have to use a text editor on a
> config file to get the behaviour I want, that's OK by me. As long as it's
> documented somewhere...

 Lubos Lunak
--
 l.lunak@email.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org