List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Starting of applications
From:       Derek Fountain <fountai () hursley ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-06-08 11:58:46

> OK, but there's the other way round: when I start something on desktop 1,
> and while it's appearing I don't want to wait, I want to go and do/read
> something else om another desktop, I still want the window to appear on
> desktop 1. (And I'm not the only one, based on the number of people that
> asked for the "appear on the desktop it was launched" feature on
> bugs.kde.org and elsewhere).

Yep, that's the other view point, which is just as valid as mine.

> I think that rapidly switching desktops to make the new window appear on
> the new desktop is a hack, a workaround, and that you should use "send to
> desktop" instead ;-)))))))  Ok, that wasn't very tolerant ;-)

I consider it a shortcut which saves a bit of mousing.  :^)  Actually,
there's a question: is it possible to arrange a keyboard shortcut to send to
desktop? Say, Alt-Shift-F1 to send the current window to desktop 1?

> And here we go.... YACOIK (yet another configuration option in
> kcontrol....)  :(

I was happy with the view someone else gave sometime ago, that not every
weird and wonderful option should have a GUI interface. If the concensus is
that the "KDE Way" is your way, and that I have to use a text editor on a
config file to get the behaviour I want, that's OK by me. As long as it's
documented somewhere...