List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Moving the "Information" module from the control panel
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <f.gassauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2001-04-10 9:03:59

On 10 04 2001 01:38, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that I am in the mood to propose things today :)  Anyways,  I
> wanted to float the idea of moving out the whole information section in the
> control panel into its own dialog box that I discussed on IRC with David.
> The reasoin I suggested this was that IMHO the control panel is usually
> associated with a place where one makes modifications and changes to
> affect/control behavior of desktop and related application.  Though the
> information tab might provide information necessary in accomplishing that
> under some circumstances, it is not an essential aspect to make such
> changes.
>
> My idea hence is to move the information module into its own application,
> something like ksysinfo and place it under Utilities (K->Utilities->System
> Information).  This can then be used to relay as much information about the
> system as desired.
>
> Ideas, objections, suggestions, volunteers :) are all welcome...

Can't we use K-Menu->System->Information
I wouldn't mind to access this information from kcontrol too (similar to
Preferences)
I think kcontrol is _the_ place to find everything what is needed to setup
and control the system.

System control and information should be together.

Some time ago I proposed little rearrangements of the structure of kcontrol
on this list. Got no feedback until now.
What I said is basically
1) that almost all what is(was?) in "Personalisation" should be moved to look
and feel, except real _personal_ information like email, accounts,address...
2) Configuration of the same "subject" should be found in _one_ place.

--
cu
ferdinand