List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OT: Re: gruesome breakage with anti-aliasing
From:       dep <dennispowell () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-03-09 13:51:02

On Friday 09 March 2001 05:30 am, Malte Starostik wrote:

| Basically you need a line like
| dir "/path/to/fontdir/"
| for every directory containing TT or Type1 fonts, just like
| FontPath lines in XF86Config. But DO NOT append :unscaled or sth.
| like that. And remember that xset fp rehash does not reread
| XftConfig, you need to restart X for changes to take effect :(

i've edited keithp's XftConfig such that it now contains only the two
path lines to the typefaces. (if one is using xfs, should it be
unix/:7100 instead?)

anyway, restarting kde-2.1 now gets me some progress -- different
typefaces in kmail, for instance -- but typeface listboxes in kde are
still utterly empty, totally blank, and konqueror still will not
display a text file or render html properly, and the inability to
actually see any text extends, too, to kwrite and kant. konsole is
now also all screwed up, too, offering only one typeface, some roman
variant, and that only in custom, and the kerning is *way* off.

is xft actually documented anyplace? keithp's page is very nice, and
i thank him for it, but it leaves little help if it doesn't work. the
closest to documentation i've found is the text README.fonts in the
xfree distribution (oddly not added to the html docs), which advised
getting and running ttmkftdir and type1inst in the respective
directories before running mkfontdir and mkfontdir -e ../encodings,
then replacing all the FontDir lines in XF86Config with "unix/:7100",
assuming xfs with a proper config file. type1 and xtt are both
xset q reports unix/:7100 as being on the fontpath. in short, i think
i've done everything. i even rebuilt qt against the new xfree cvs,
just in case there was some change since xfree-4.02. i'm just
flummoxed.

--
dep