List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OT: Re: gruesome breakage with anti-aliasing
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2001-03-09 13:58:46

Am Freitag 09 März 2001 14:51 schrieb dep:
> On Friday 09 March 2001 05:30 am, Malte Starostik wrote:
> | Basically you need a line like
> | dir "/path/to/fontdir/"
> | for every directory containing TT or Type1 fonts, just like
> | FontPath lines in XF86Config. But DO NOT append :unscaled or sth.
> | like that. And remember that xset fp rehash does not reread
> | XftConfig, you need to restart X for changes to take effect :(
>
> i've edited keithp's XftConfig such that it now contains only the two
> path lines to the typefaces. (if one is using xfs, should it be
> unix/:7100 instead?)
No way, Xft can only use local dirs, no font server.

> anyway, restarting kde-2.1 now gets me some progress -- different
> typefaces in kmail, for instance -- but typeface listboxes in kde are
> still utterly empty, totally blank, and konqueror still will not
> display a text file or render html properly, and the inability to
> actually see any text extends, too, to kwrite and kant. konsole is
> now also all screwed up, too, offering only one typeface, some roman
> variant, and that only in custom, and the kerning is *way* off.
I know Xft lacks some docu :(
I have no idea which - and how many TTFs you installed, I can only say with
all the fonts from Windows and M$ Office installed and their paths listed in
XftConfig, KDE with AA works wonderful. About Konsole: from my experience it
looks best with Andale Mono which I enabled to be displayed in the list by
putting this line in XftConfig:

match any family == "fixed"     edit family =+ "Andale Mono";

Of course, you need to have that font to use it :)
-Malte