List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OT: Re: gruesome breakage with anti-aliasing
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2001-03-09 11:21:58

Am Freitag 09 März 2001 12:01 schrieb Christer Kaivo-oja:
> On Friday 09 March 2001 11:30, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > in XF86Config. But DO NOT append :unscaled or sth. like that. And
> > remember that xset fp rehash does not reread XftConfig, you need to
> > restart X for changes to take effect :(
>
> Wouldn't restarting xfs do? I think I made my system find new fonts by
> doing the following (running Red Hat 7):
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart
xfs and Xft are to totally different things. While xfs is a font server that
can handle TTFs, Xft is the library XFree 4.0.2 uses to talk to Freetype 2
(correct me if I'm wrong here). AFAIK, you can _not_ use AA fonts (for what
Xft is used) with a font server, they must be accessible from the host the X
server runs on and configured in the local XftConfig. xfs is only used for
applications that do not use the RENDER extension (and thus no AA).
-Malte