List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: call for Applications for Nautilus (short notice)
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-02-26 4:05:24

Sunday 25 February 2001 10:04, Seth Nickell написал:
|   <inspiring speech>
|   The following is my small part in trying to shore up the silly rifts
|   that have developed between our communities. We (meaning KDE & GNOME &
|   all free software) have the "higher moral ground" here (free software),
|   so lets be a model to proprietary software developers, and show them
|   that if nothing else free software allows us to work together more
|   cooperatively and effectively. :-) Goodwill towards all hackers, gnome
|   and kde alike, says I.
|   </barfy speech>

Nice to hear!  :-)

|   The short story: Nautilus 1.0 (the GNOME 1.4+ filemanager) will be
|   frozen imminently (like early within this upcoming week), and released
|   fairly soon thereafter. Our application database doesn't have many KDE
|   applications right now, but we want to support all cool free software.
|   Therefore, I want to know what should be added to the application list
|   from the KDE project.

I have more general question to you.
Are you going (can ?) support , for example, WAV via KDE's Konqueror or Media
Player?
Like, to setup Nautilus in such way that Konqueror (or KDE's Media Player) is
launched  when you click on WAV file in Nautilus?

In more details:
------------------------
AFAIK Nautilus is File Manager.
How you are going to manage HTML files?
Will you launch Konqueror for HTML, or...?

And more inside:
-----------------------------
What happens in Nautilus when you click on Flash (.swf) file?

|   I know this is short notice, but only recently did I notice the
|   deficiencies in the Application/MIME database. I realize KDE doesn't use
|   a centralized Application database, a decision I actually agree with,

AFAIK there is a centralized database.
Control Center -> File Browser -> File Associations.
And you can add your own or edit existing MIMEtype.

|   AND, for *each* MIME type (unless it is fairly common such as PNG, BMP,
|   DOC, XLS, WAV, MPEG, basically anything in /etc/magic) it would be
|   useful to have as much of the following info as you know/can find
|   (particularly necessary if this is the application's native format)

Do I understand you correctly that you do not want to support in Nautilus
 at least 3 (three) KDE-native PNG viewers/editors
Pressing on RMB on mypic.png gives me:
-- Image Viewer
-- Pixie Image Management system
-- The GIMP
--  Icon Editor

While GIMP is most likely suported by nautilus, I am wondering about Image
Viewer, Pixie and Icon Editor?

The same is valid for .jpg, .gif, .bmp, etc.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)