List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: call for Applications for Nautilus (short notice)
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-02-25 22:15:33

Seth Nickell wrote:

> fellow hackers,
>
> <inspiring speech>
> The following is my small part in trying to shore up the silly rifts
> that have developed between our communities. We (meaning KDE & GNOME &
> all free software) have the "higher moral ground" here (free software),
> so lets be a model to proprietary software developers, and show them
> that if nothing else free software allows us to work together more
> cooperatively and effectively. :-) Goodwill towards all hackers, gnome
> and kde alike, says I.
> </barfy speech>

[ ... ]

Cool!  The information you seek is contained in KDE's .desktop files.
It was my understanding that this file format was agreed to by Gnome and
KDE for the express purpose of allowing the interoperability you address
below.  Is Nautilus not making use of this desktop standard (spec
available at
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/kdelibs/kio/DESKTOP_ENTRY_STANDARD?rev=1.9)?
If not, have you found deficiencies in it, or why don't you use it?

Regardless, I am packaging up the .desktop files that are part of the
kde 2.1 release and sending them to you ae a tarball in private mail.
You will see the format is straightforward and includes all the
information you seek.

Ciao,

Dre