List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 is great, fantastic and a wonderful desktop
From:       Moritz Moeller-Herrmann <mmh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-10-30 20:29:15

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 05:36:56AM +0300, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Sunday 29 October 2000 01:03 am, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> |  Rob Kaper wrote:
> |  > On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 06:44:17PM +0200, Harri Porten wrote:
> |  > > > > But one thing I miss is the possibility to config the X-Server
> |  > > > > (resolution, color-depth) in the control center...
> |  > > >
> |  > > > Corel had this as enhancement in their patched KDE 1.1.2, is there
> |  > > > any reason it was never adopted?
> |  > >
> |  > > Apart from portability questions: missing initiative from Corel to
> |  > > feed back the patches. We can't check every distribution for usefull
> |  > > features and try to merge them into official KDE ourselves.

> I think the best way to implement resolution/depth change as it is done in
> windows.
> =Right Mouse Click on Desktop.
> -Properties
> -change screen settings (resolution, depth, virtual screen, etc.)

> Of course, I see no reason why not to add it to KDM.
> As about Depth, solution is simple:
> add
> xinit  -- -bpp 8
> xinit  -- -bpp 16
> xinit  -- -bpp 24
> variant to startx (xinit) script via drop-down list box in KDM.

> Still I am wondering how to change resolution.
> Looks like X takes first resolution listed in Screen section of XF86Config.

> It is plain text file, so I guess can also be easily modified (just swap
> "1024x768" vs "800x600", etc.)

I would also like to see a possibility to make one window full screen via
the window manager kwin. (via Xfree extension)

This would be really cool and usefull for many apps, if
not every single one would have to implement this manually.

Please consider this for KDE 2.x (think about not having to start another
Xserver for wine apps / games)

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann mmh@gmx.net ICQ# 3585990
Liebe macht blind, sonst gäbe es sie nicht.