List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KURL::isParentOf is case-sensitive for http URLs
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2000-10-30 20:22:23

Am Montag, 30. Oktober 2000 21:14 schrieb Oliver Henning:
> Whereas "file:/Root " is definitely not parent of "file:/root/foo",
> "http://www.foo.com" should be considered parent of "www.Foo.com/bar", as
> http URLs are not case-sensitive. But currently KURL::isParentOf() would
> say "no parent".
>
> I point out to that because (I think) it could be a source of (subtle) bugs
> if people do not expect the case-sesitivity. Konqueror (as every other
> browser) also doesn't mind the case of Internet URLs. Maybe there should at
> least be a hint in the KDE 2 documentation. If performance won't hurt,
> there should be a protocol-dependent handling of case (i.e. a downcast for
> prots like http and ftp).
Wouldn't be correct either, only the hostname part of the URL is case
insensitive, the path and possible username/password parts are case not. Some
servers might not care like apache with mod_speling and probably IIS(?), but
generally http://www.foo.com/bar is not the same as http://www.foo.com/Bar

-Malte