List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 is great, fantastic and a wonderful desktop
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-10-29 21:36:38

Hi, Rik!

On Sunday 29 October 2000 04:07 am, Rik Hemsley wrote:
|  On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:36:56 +0300
|
|  Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru> wrote:
|  > Of course, I see no reason why not to add it to KDM.
|  > As about Depth, solution is simple:
|  > add
|  > xinit  -- -bpp 8
|  > xinit  -- -bpp 16
|  > xinit  -- -bpp 24
|  > variant to startx (xinit) script via drop-down list box in KDM.
|
|  .... after verifying that the driver can handle the requested depth. Some
|  drivers don't handle some colour depths, e.g. i710e. There's no way of
|  asking the driver what it supports, either. X is great, isn't it ? *

3.3.6
#XFree86-Mach64 -probeonly
for me, it lists 3 modes (1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480)

4.0.1
#XFree86 -probeonly

Another option - you can use Xdrakres utility from Mandrake.
For Mandrake Linux 7.2, it is probably integrated in HardDrake

Yehh, X is great.
Digging into its man pages, I found many of them were dated with 1993. or
1996. Digital Equipment Corporation mentioned many times :-)
/just wonder: does Compaq Computer, owning DEC now, supports X development ??/
No wonder that we have such problems with aged stuff.

Re: "There's no way of  asking the driver what it supports,"
May be, just add system call to X and contribute it to XFree86?
I believe necessary identification is present in server, we need just binding.
Any XFree86 devel on kde-devel list?

|  > Still I am wondering how to change resolution.
|  > Looks like X takes first resolution listed in Screen section of
|  > XF86Config.
|
|  There's an X extension for changing modes 'X vidmode extension ?'.

Really?
Not in MAN. (man X) Probably, undocumented feature.
Can you send me some info?

|  As for creating modes, that's dodgy. You have to be _really_ careful. My
|  program called KVideoGen works ok, but I still wouldn't let users run it
|  without a big fat warning. If there was a standard system for registering
|  monitor and video card capabilities (like Windows has .inf or something)
|  then we'd be ok. X is great, isn't it ? *
Yehh, agree...
I tried both XF86config (from 3.3.6, written in TCL!) and Redhat's
Xconfigurator.
both - $hit.

That's why I was forced to upgrade to XF 4.0.1 (which forced me to upgrade to
Kernel 2.2.17 :-)
XF86cfg from 4.0.1 work correctly on my system

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)