List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 is great, fantastic and a wonderful desktop
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-10-30 20:57:06

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 05:36:56AM +0300, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 October 2000 01:03 am, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > |  Rob Kaper wrote:
> > |  > On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 06:44:17PM +0200, Harri Porten wrote:
> > |  > > > > But one thing I miss is the possibility to config the X-Server
> > |  > > > > (resolution, color-depth) in the control center...
> > |  > > >
> > |  > > > Corel had this as enhancement in their patched KDE 1.1.2, is there
> > |  > > > any reason it was never adopted?
> > |  > >
> > |  > > Apart from portability questions: missing initiative from Corel to
> > |  > > feed back the patches. We can't check every distribution for usefull
> > |  > > features and try to merge them into official KDE ourselves.
>
> > I think the best way to implement resolution/depth change as it is done in
> > windows.
> > =Right Mouse Click on Desktop.
> > -Properties
> > -change screen settings (resolution, depth, virtual screen, etc.)
>
> > Of course, I see no reason why not to add it to KDM.
> > As about Depth, solution is simple:
> > add
> > xinit  -- -bpp 8
> > xinit  -- -bpp 16
> > xinit  -- -bpp 24
> > variant to startx (xinit) script via drop-down list box in KDM.
>
> > Still I am wondering how to change resolution.
> > Looks like X takes first resolution listed in Screen section of XF86Config.
>
> > It is plain text file, so I guess can also be easily modified (just swap
> > "1024x768" vs "800x600", etc.)

XFree takes as desktop size the largest resolution in the list, and as
default
viewport size the first one.

On XFree, there is no way to change the desktop size on runtime, but there
is a X extension to change the viewport size (just like ctrl+alt+-)

On X that is not XFree, all this makes no sense, since the config file is
different, and usually there is no way to change viewport size.

So, this doesn't seem terribly difficult, but it will be
XFree-specific. Which usually means Linux/BSD specific (although XFree is
102 times better than what ships with Solaris/x86 or SCO, for instance.

> I would also like to see a possibility to make one window full screen via
> the window manager kwin. (via Xfree extension)
>
> This would be really cool and usefull for many apps, if
> not every single one would have to implement this manually.
>
> Please consider this for KDE 2.x (think about not having to start another
> Xserver for wine apps / games)

For wine apps, there is -managed, and for games, they should use DGA :-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"Those who serve the revolution plough the sea" Bolivar