List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: the end of KOffice?
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-09-02 8:42:30

On Thu, 02 Sep 1999, Frank Baumgart wrote:
>Rob Kaper wrote:
>>> The only important issue might be compatibility with document formats. The
>> suite that can handle Office documents the best way probably has an
>> advantage over the other.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how well Koffice and SO handle these formats?
>
>SO5.1 for Linux can acceptably import Word97 and Powerpoint files,
>at least to a degree I do not consider starting Word right next at
>the VMware desktop when I only want to show or copy from them.
>For further work on imported dox these SO5.1 import filters are not
>quite good enough, though this might "just" be a font mapping issue.
>(hints or RTFM anyone?)
>
>Regarding Koffice, Reginald already said it is being worked on,
>meaning really, it is absolutely not usable by now. So SO5.1 is
>probably your best bet.
>
>In terms of stability, well, SO5 crashed just 2 times on me since
>it appeared while I used it extensively for much work, most notably
>but not only I wrote my Diploma Thesis with it, ~130pp and about 30
>images, some tables, much referencing, many footnotes etc. Add to
>this quite a few spread sheets and (mostly imported) presentations.
>This is far better than Word for Windows ever was.
>In contrast, Koffice did never stay up longer than 2 minutes for me.

Please people, if you just whine, SHUT UP! Either send me exactly _what_ you
did and send me a backtrace. I mean I'm already writing quite a lot with KWord
without bigger problems and me and other people use KPresenter quite often for
presentations and it runs really stable. So give me more information about the
crashes as this is the only way I can fix it and I want to fix it. But do not
just complain, that doesn't help anyone.

>As you most probably know, as a developer you avoid dangerous edges
>in your own programs, consciously or not so crashes can occur much
>less if you know what you (can) do.
>I'm looking forward to see Koffice progress, though I'm missing an
>image/paint application more than a WP. Unfortunately, there is not
>much in this area, the KDE programs I have seen are not useful at
>all while the GIMP is very powerful but usability-wise a piece of
>crap (sorry). So the best bet is still xpaint (sigh).
>(Yes, I know they address different areas)
>The same goes for image viewers, there is no KDE-app even near xv
>feature-wise as well as usability-wise.

Again, just complaining doesn't help.

--
Reggie