List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: the end of KOffice?
From:       Frank Baumgart <godot () uni-paderborn ! de>
Date:       1999-09-03 8:52:12

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> send me exactly _what_ you did and send me a backtrace.

I invoked "kword" (cvsup'ed ~28th of august) from a konsole, while
starting but not displaying anything graphical yet this happened:

Creating File Menu in koMainWindow.cc
parts (corba): OPMainWindow::showEvent()
QGList::locate: Index 0 out of range
KWFormatContext::setFrameSet: pFrameSet is NULL, KWord will crash soon
or at least behave strange!
KWFormatContext::setFrame: pFrame is NULL, KWord will crash soon or at
least behave strange!
KWFormatContext::setFrame: pFrame is NULL, KWord will crash soon or at
least behave strange!
QGList::locate: Index 0 out of range
KWFormatContext::setFrameSet: pFrameSet is NULL, KWord will crash soon
or at least behave strange!
KWFormatContext::setFrame: pFrame is NULL, KWord will crash soon or at
least behave strange!
KWFormatContext::setFrame: pFrame is NULL, KWord will crash soon or at
least behave strange!
KStdDirs::findResDir(): can't find "return.png" in type "toolbar".
uncaught MICO exception: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0 (0,
maybe-completed)
Abort (core dumped)

#0  0x4122e0e1 in kill () at soinit.c:27
27      soinit.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0  0x4122e0e1 in kill () at soinit.c:27
#1  0x4122df0f in raise (sig=6) at ../sysdeps/posix/raise.c:27
#2  0x4122f1ab in abort () at ../sysdeps/generic/abort.c:83
#3  0x40263d0c in __default_terminate () from
/opt/kde/lib/libkpartsui.so.1
#4  0x8183504 in __EXCEPTION_TABLE__ ()
#5  0xbffff6a4 in ?? ()

The only reason to write this here is that I doubt this is very useful
for the developer but serves as a good example of the difficulties to
actually make a report. Should it go to the mico (2.2.7 btw.) author?
To you? To bugs? To koffice?
Will it be useful after compiling mico (sigh) with debug support? And/or
koffice?

> >The same goes for image viewers, there is no KDE-app even near xv
> >feature-wise as well as usability-wise.
>
> Again, just complaining doesn't help.

I do not neccessarily complain, I simply do not use them.
KDE apps have initial advantages of integration into KDE, DND etc.
If the weaknesses still outweigh these I use something else. If a KDE
app is near, I try to support it by suggestions, patches or bug reports.
What I do not have is time to create a usable kpaint app on my own, let
alone something like xv (est. >>1 manyear).

Frank