List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RfD: KDE Special Interest Groups
From:       Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel <mhk () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-06-02 10:32:14

Hi friends,

you all will have noticed that the traffic on kde-devel and
the other mailing lists has increased a lot during the last
months. This is generally a good thing, as it shows that more
and more people are interested in KDE development.

The drawback however, at least for me, is that it is very hard
to stay uptodate. If you have limited time, it is almost
impossible to read everything posted. While one does not have
to take part in every discussion (there are enough more
knowledgable people out there ;), it is important to stay
informed about the results of these discussions.

To keep traffic on kde-devel low, a lot of smaller list have
been founded, like kde-artists, kde-some-other-program etc.
etc. But this makes it hard to find out where to go with
specific questions.

In short: I want to propose to found KDE SIG's, much like the
way the python development is organized. Such a FAQ should
have:

- a name and a topic
- a mailinglist & archive
- a "homepage" on the KDE WWW server, including a new section
- perhaps a contact person
- anything else needed

To give an example, I have added

www/SIGS/index.html

to the CVS. I am not a designer, so take this stuff just as a
proof of concept.

What do you think? Would forming SIG's make life easier for
us, or would it just add more overhead? Please follow up with
any suggestions you have.

Bye,
Matthias.