List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail: problem with delete mail
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-05-30 9:59:26

From: Daniel Naber <dnaber@mini.gt.owl.de>
> there still seems to be an annoying delete problem with kmail 1.0.21.
> As discussed in older threads on this list, kmail does delete mails
> only when one chooses "compact". However, for me, new mails do not
> only get not deleted, they also appear as "new" if I leave kmail and
> start it again.

I'm can't reproduce this problem, (sorry). I am using kmail 1.0.20 at home,
so perhaps this is significant. I have had problems with compacting (only
on Solaris I think) crashing kmail, I don't really use it (compacting).

Actually as far as KMail still having annoying bugs here is my list.

Better graphics.
  I regard this as KMails most serious flaw. The icons in the folder list can
  be greatly improved on with hicolor versions. (I realise lo-color versions
  are also required).
Editor is a bit limited.
  I would prefer using a kwrite like editor rather than the kedit like editor.
KMail blocks for a long time when checking mail.
  Using fetchmail and a local mailbox lessens this problem. But still..
Inline HTML mail support isn't perfect, eg html mail from "Wired" magazine.
  Auto detect messages beginning with <html> (or an html comment) and handle
  accordingly.
KMail leaks memory.
  Actually it doesn't but it does allocate memory everytime a message is read
  for the first time, and only frees it when exiting. The msgText.resize(msgSize+2)
  statement in kmfolder.cpp is the culprit.
Provide an option to compact folders on exit, or do it in the background or
something.
  Apparently compacting frees up memory taken by deleted messages. I just
  don't bother to do it.
No "cntrl" selecting of messages is possible at the moment.
  Several people have asked for support for this.
Customizeable keyboard settings.
  I really like kmails default keyboard accelerators, other people don't
  though, and they just aren't as useful on a reduced laptop keyboard.
Customizeable colours
  I like Cristian Tibirna's suggestion. I wonder if he has done any work
  on the kaccel like class for colours
The message pane can become unsyncronized with the message list. (Hold down
the right arrow key for a few seconds.
  Due to QT signal/slots being used to update the message pane? Could fix by
  having a current message variable, and passing a pointer to this variable,
  rather than signalling the current message number which is the way I guess
  it's done at the moment.
The filter dialog could do with work.
  Some edit boxes should be disabled until new has been pressed. Would be nice
  if filter name on lhs is automatically updated as info is entered on the rhs.
Sorting doesn't always work
  Sometimes the currently selected message ends up being placed near the start
  of the list of messages, rather than in its correct position.
There is no need to re-sort message when sorting is by order of arrival
  The unnecessary sorting causes flicker and delay, this problem is my fault.
Printing sometimes adds extra space
Fixed sized font support doesn't really work.

On a brighter note KMail in the HEAD branch is coming along nicely. I can't
take any credit for this but I really do appreciate the effort others have/are
making in porting the code. (Actually I made my first commits today I hope I
didn't break anything). Drag'n'drop is the only thing left to port I think, and
all the bugfixes/enhancements since 1.1 need to ported as well. I don't mind
(rying to do this, hopefully the ever helpful Sven will be able to help
me out if I get stuck/confused).

- Don Sanders.