List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Cleaning up libraries
From:       Mario Weilguni <mweilguni () sime ! com>
Date:       1999-05-30 9:48:46

Recently there was a discussion if to remove some old classes from the core
libraries and move it into a compatibility library to discourage using them. I
assembled a list of classes which are good candidates for removal. Here's the list:

from kdecore
* kcharsets
* kcharsetsdata
These should vanish because the functionalty is mostly in Qt now. But we
urgently need somebody with experience with charsets to do this, and who is
able to test that too.

* kpoint
* krect
* ksize
Reggie implemented those a while ago to overcome the limitation of 16-bit
integers for coordinates. Since Qt 2 uses 32-bit integers now, these should be
completly obsolete and should not even be moved in a compatibility library, a
simple sed -e 's/K(Point|Rect|Size)/Q&2/' should do the job

from kdeui
* kintegerline
Is already declared obsolete.

* kslider
It's the same as QSlider, except it's only Windows style (according to
docs), which only hurts styles and doubles the work to implement styles.
Should be easy enough to remove.

* kwizard
I used the wizard in kppp, and I was not really happy with it. However, it's
completly incompatible with QWizard, so it may be not that easy to remove
it. If possible, we should do it anyway.

* kpanner (obsoleted by knewpanner)
knewpanner already made it obsolete, but it's neither source nor binary
compatible, so some applications may need rework.

* kcombo
QComboBox seems to be a complete replacement for this, but I did not check
this so far.

There are some other classes which have similar or the same name as classes
from Qt (of course with a "K" in front), and for some it's not really obvious
when to use the class from Qt and when the KDE class. These classes include:
* kmsgbox (QMessageBox)
* ktabbar (QTabBar)
* ktabctl (QTabDialog)
* kbutton (QButton/QPushButton)
* kcursor (QCursor)
* knumspinbox (QSpinBox)

For these classes it would be nice to have a (short) README, explaing when to
use these classes and when to use the Qt pendant. This is especially important
for KMsgBox, it's still not clear to me when to use QMessageBox and when
KMsgBox.

Regards,
 Mario Weilguni

--