List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: about our attitude towards M$ windows
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-05-29 0:01:54

On Fri, 28 May 1999, aleXXX wrote:

> With this tools accessing shares is almost as simple as under windows
> and it looks quite similar to the "network neighbourhood" in M$
> exploder, additionally supports NFS and Novell Netware(experimental),
> and other networking tools.

First off, I think that anything making a userland implementation of NFS
is a bit uh, stupid.  An nfs "browser" to see what nfs mounts are perhaps,
but ew otherwise.  And have you made an attempt to support the various
styles of IPX networking?  I'd hate to see another Linux only program..

> IMO it would be really good to move this program to kdenetwork (for
> KDE 1.x for now)

Uh, please don't. 1.1.x is a bugfix branch now.  Please, save yourself the
time, and port it to Qt 2, and that way we'll have a nice stable app for
KDE 2, and 1.1.2 will be amazingly bug free (another app to debug for
1.1.x is not a good thing IMO).

> To summarize his statements, he said he is not connected to a LAN with
> windows-hosts, all networks he knows are UNIX-ones, and he doesn't
> like the name kNetmon, so why move it from kdenonbeta to kdenetwork ?

I think I have a few guest shares on redwood203.marin.k12.ca.us.  It's
running samba 2.0.3 for the time being.

> You may say there is somebody working on support for the smb-protocoll
> for Konquerer for KDE 2.0.
> Ok, but kNetmon is working _NOW_ and it also supports NFS and Novell
> Netware, in the future I hope Apletalk too
> (if I find somebody who has access to such a network) and this not only
> for KDE apps, but for all apps, since it mounts the stuff.

I don't know about detecting hosts running SMB servers, but kio_smb works
somewhat for me now, and is truely the right way to do something like
this.  Besides, the netware and nfs stuff shold really be split up (when
accessing individual URIs).  And then perhaps an all encompassing browsing
view.

- alex