List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig again
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-05-15 22:37:32

On Sat, 15 May 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 1999, Steffen Hansen wrote:
>
> > Maybe the app should decide for itself if entries should be cached in RAM
> > (in a QMap).
>
> We have talked a little more and now it seems like putting the entries in
> a size limited QCache might be a good idea, which the cache flushed out
> periodically.
>
> However, I am under the impression that once an application has allocated
> memory, even if it frees it, it doesn't go back into the system memory
> pool.  It keeps it until it exits.  Isn't this the case in the majority of
> UNIX systems?

I think yes, but the app can use the freed memory for other stuff. If the
memory held by KConfig is release early enough, there is a highly
probable that the app will allocate additional mem for it's own use...

BTW: QCache uses a list to keep the items, so you get the same complexity
as iterating the file over and over.

greetings,