On Sat, 15 May 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote: > On Sun, 16 May 1999, Steffen Hansen wrote: > > > Maybe the app should decide for itself if entries should be cached in RAM > > (in a QMap). > > We have talked a little more and now it seems like putting the entries in > a size limited QCache might be a good idea, which the cache flushed out > periodically. > > However, I am under the impression that once an application has allocated > memory, even if it frees it, it doesn't go back into the system memory > pool. It keeps it until it exits. Isn't this the case in the majority of > UNIX systems? I think yes, but the app can use the freed memory for other stuff. If the memory held by KConfig is release early enough, there is a highly probable that the app will allocate additional mem for it's own use... BTW: QCache uses a list to keep the items, so you get the same complexity as iterating the file over and over. greetings, -------------- Steffen Hansen | email: stefh@mip.sdu.dk, stefh@imada.sdu.dk,| hansen@kde.org | ABC...VWXKZ :) URL: http://www.mip.sdu.dk/~stefh |