List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig again
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-05-16 0:16:07

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Steffen Hansen wrote:

> BTW: QCache uses a list to keep the items, so you get the same complexity
> as iterating the file over and over.

Arnt and I discussed a way where there would be a QMap for dirty entries,
and then the QCache would be checked, and finally it would go out to disk
for the data.  The cache would be "compacted" every thirty seconds to be
2/3 its current size.

This scheme sounds pretty good.  As he pointed out, we have much more a
case of "unused data being around in memory" than "used data being around
in memory for every app that could be shared."  Most apps use almost NONE
of the stuff in .kderc, so it could get kicked out of the cache really
quickly.

What do people think of this idea?

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.