List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig again
From:       "Teodor Mihai" <teddy () itcnet ! ro>
Date:       1999-05-15 22:35:41

-----Original Message-----
From: Steffen Hansen <stefh@mip.sdu.dk>
To: kde-devel@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
<kde-devel@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>
Date: 16 May 1999 1:11 AM

>On Sat, 15 May 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
>
>> Mosfet and I were talking, and we made the hypothesis that most apps
using
>> a KConfig object to a few initial readEntry()s, and then they basically
>> don't touch the KConfig object again until it is time to shut down (i.e.
>> destroy the object / save changes).  This means that keeping KConfig
>> entries around in RAM (cached) is rather a waste.  It would seem to make
>> more sense to read it dynamically off the disk when needed.
>>
>> Comments?
>
>This was exactly that i thought when suggesting that you could try the
>slower O(n^2) method where you iterate through the kconfig file and search
>for the group/key the app asks for.
>
>Maybe the app should decide for itself if entries should be cached in RAM
>(in a QMap).

I 100% agree. The application I'm working on - Magellan - reads/writes quite
often to and from its configuration file.
It's safer to do it this way, because if anything goes wrong and the
application crashes the user would lose all the
changes. Of course it could have a global memory-resident config object -
but I supposed that KConfig would cache all
the stuff for me.. :)

Regards,
  teddy