List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets? [ was: Re: kde mp3 player]
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-05-13 21:32:08

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Torsten Rahn wrote:
>Hi Sven,
(...)
>> Think about this: application has many icons/toolbuttons but doesn't
>> display it in toolbars by default; User can drag the buttons he wants from
>
>and all these icons are made from heaven ...
Of course not; they have to be drawn by someone - just like code for that has to
be written.

 >> special dialog to the toolbar - like in MS Word.
>
>MS Word -- Yes, I learned to hate it!
>The worst thing for most beginners is to  find this ´special dialog´.
>I´m sure that most people won´t figure out themselves how to do this
>without help. Try it out! Ask some unexperienced person (mother,
>grandma,...
>to create an icon in the toolbar ... How many times did I tell
>people how to do it ...?
>so far Microsoft´s innovations ... so go forth and copy it *sigh*!

Of course this approach is unintuitive and there's no way for my dad to learn
how to do this.
Maybe we should need some better way to customize toolbar but I don't know any.

On the other hand I know a lot of people who know how to do it and need such
function.

 --
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org