List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets? [ was: Re: kde mp3 player]
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-05-13 21:22:05

Hi Sven,

Sven Radej wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> (...)
> >> What really want is the possibility to drag certain items as new toolbuttons on
> >> a custom toolbar, no?
> >>
> >> Matthias
> >

> >NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Please Nooooooooo!!!
> >(Hope you heard it!)
> >
> >This means that we have to make an icon for *every* menu-entry.
> >And now think of Office-applications or Corel-Draw (I can't wait any longer!)
> >with it's dozens of Menuentries. Are you sure that you want every entry
> >to have an imaginative/suggestive icon. -> Nope! Probably not!
> >This would be very stupid. The other solution is much better: especially
> >if you use features very often that are *generally* used less often (and
> >therefore have no icon)!
>
> Think about this: application has many icons/toolbuttons but doesn't
> display it in toolbars by default; User can drag the buttons he wants from

and all these icons are made from heaven ...

> special dialog to the toolbar - like in MS Word.

MS Word -- Yes, I learned to hate it!
The worst thing for most beginners is to  find this ´special dialog´.
I´m sure that most people won´t figure out themselves how to do this
without help. Try it out! Ask some unexperienced person (mother,
grandma,...
to create an icon in the toolbar ... How many times did I tell
people how to do it ...?
so far Microsoft´s innovations ... so go forth and copy it *sigh*!

Torsten