List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets? [ was: Re: kde mp3 player]
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-05-13 21:50:42

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> Perhaps^H^H^H^H^H It would be better to have these applets in 32 and
> 48?^H!!!!

Applets should be resizeable. How high is the default size for kpanel? I
think most stuff (pagers, media-players, cpu/load/heat-monitors etc)
can fit into the default sized panel.

> BTW: Did you already implement multiple Panels, menus that can be
> ripped off (not menu-bars! -- I know that we have them.). I remember
> that I loved these ripp-off-menus in Geoworks (the PC-version of GEOS
> that you might know from the C64-days ....) It was *very* useful
> to have them in office/graphics-applications!

That would be nice too. Plus panels that dont need to fill the entire
width/height of the screen.

> What I also liked about Gnome was the halftransparent moving of
> the windows (AFAIK done by making every second pixel fully
> transparent) but I did *not* like (besides the poor implemented

No! The effect is done by Enlightenment, and Rasterman really put his
hackerhat on for it ;-) It is in fact true 50% transparency. This is also
the reason why it is too slow to be bearable. I played with it on a
Celeron300A@450MHz with a Permedia2 video card, and it was too slow :(

> > 1. my window list swallowed into the panel, taking up some available space
> > not a whole strip across the top/bottom/side of the screen

That would be really nice. I have a big blank chunk on my panel that needs
to be filled ;-)

greetings,