List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Always on top, Session management, and MacOS mode stuff
From:       "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <yannaigo () leyada ! jlm ! k12 ! il>
Date:       1999-03-17 12:54:37

Richard Moore wrote:

> "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" wrote:
> >
> > A few thoughts:
> >
> > (1) Is it possible to implement an "Always on top" function in the
> > right-mouse-button menu of windows (the "Minimize, Maximize,..." windows)?
>
> It is certainly possible, but what would we gain?
Having programs like kpager on top when new windows pop up, for example.
It is implied from your response that there already is an always on top
function somewhere. Is there (couldn't find it)?

> > (2) IMHO, programs which use session management should reappear on the same
> > desktop in which they appeared before logging out (and be sticky - on all
> > desktops - if they were), and remember if they were "always on top" or not.
>
> They have done this for over a year unless someone has broken it.
When I run kodo (kspeedometa) sticky, exit KDE, and return, it isn't sticky
anymore...

> > (3) In MacOS mode (titlebar on top) -
> > (a) "Classic focus follows mouse" should behave like "Focus follows mouse"
> > (at least in the aspect of not changing the menu above when the mouse
> > traveles above the background, and both of these should wait for a short
> > timeout before switching focus (moving above a window which consumes the
> > entire background to get to the menu is impossible)).
>
> What's wrong with simply making "Focus follows mouse" the default?
If you have a large window (full screen), and above it a smaller window (in
the middle of the screen), you can't get to the small window's menu (in
order to get to the menu, you have to pass above the large full screen
window).
This is why I suggested a timeout for focus change.

> > (c) maybe the "K" on the little K-menu on the titlebar could change into the
> > icon of the application the menu of which is displayed right now.
>
> That would seem to imply that the menu was application specific which it
> is not. I don't think this is a good idea.
This is the MAC style. If we want to look like them...

> > (d) In the background menu (the desktop menu), When clicking on some menus
> > and releasing the mouse button, and then moving the mouse onto another menu
> > (clicking on help and moving to desk or windows, for example), the menu
> > changes which is inconsistant with normal applications-menus. In addition,
> > when clicking on some menus and releasing the mouse buttone, and then moving
> > onto other menus (like from help to file), this does not happen - an
> > internal inconsistancy.
>
> I don't understand what you mean here.

In MacOS mode (Motif style), try:
move your mouse over the background (see the menu changing to the desktop
menu).
Click and release the button over the help menu.
Move the cursor from the help menu in a straight line to the menu on its
left - That menu now pops up instead of the help menu.
Now continue moving the cursor to the left in a straight line until you
reach the file menu.
Note that now the file menu did not pop up.

Regards,
Yannai.

    /      /__...---===='---+---_'                System Administrator
   '------'---.___ -  _ =   _.-'            yannaigo@leyada.jlm.k12.il