List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Solid a bit wobbly
From:       Christopher Blauvelt <cblauvelt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-04 12:30:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Robin Atwood <robin@binro.org> wrote:

> I originally posted this on gentoo-users but got no replies.
> I have been playing with the solid command since various KCM modules don't
> show anything. "solid-hardware list" shows no processor information and
> "solid-network listdevices" just hangs. My processor and NIC are
> bog-standard
> and should present no problems. The package is compiled with options (use
> flags) disable-networkmanager, disable-wicd because the machine is
> basically a server. Does solid actually need a network manager?
>
> TIA
> -Robin
> --
> Robin Atwood.
>
> "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
>  Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
>         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling

> unsubscribe <<

These sound like problems with HAL.  Inspect the output of HAL (I think it's
lshal) and see what it's reporting for your CPU.  If you don't enable one of
the two current network management backends (NM or WICD) then how do you
expect to get functionality?  You should be able to see the network devices
using solid-hardware.  If not inspect the output of HAL again to see if it's
reporting anything.
Chris