List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kubuntu asking for input
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-11-04 11:48:53

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 16:11:11 Harald Sitter wrote:
> Of course it would be best if there was no need to patch, but
> sometimes it is necessary, be it to get important bug fixes in before
> release or to make the software behave better in the distro
> environment. So please refrain from suggesting a no-patch policy ;)

The single most annoying thing for me is when distros backport stuff behind the back
of developers. That was the case for the networkmanager plasmoid in Kubuntu 9.04, and
it was a total disaster. The thing was (is!) far from finished, it didn't work in
many cases, didn't have any QA, had debug crap in its UI, and so on. When I asked why
people didn't consult me, or Will before backporting and releasing it, the answer was
"you would've said no anyway". Well d'oh. Just as an example.

Please make sure this kind of screw-ups won't happen again.
--
sebas