List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kubuntu asking for input
From:       Will Stephenson <wstephenson () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-11-04 9:28:15

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 16:41:59 John Tapsell wrote:
> 2) Several apps crash when I shutdown the computer.  KNetworkManager
> for one.  How did this get past QA?  Or is this Just Me again?

> 8) The knetworkmanager thing is still way too complicated for typing
> in a password.  On windows you have a single password entry box.
> That's it.  None of this faffing about with having to first select
> from between 5(!) different options in the first combo box (None, WEP,
> LEAP, etc) then having to chose the key type, etc..  Work with Will
> Stephenson  on this and make this Just Work.

This Timelord effort is completely out of place on this list and John's
response demonstrates why.

In programming terms it's a layering violation - the bug that causes the
initial wireless security detection for a new connection to fail is Kubuntu-
specific because it was fixed already in trunk but was too late for Kubuntu to
include.  Instead of being discussed as an online update on kubuntu-
devel@kubuntu.org we have it taking up your time and mine here.

This list (and the cross-posted k-c-d) is for making KDE better for every
distribution, not for getting people to hack with to make KDE better for one
specific distribution.  How would it look if Fedora, Pardus, Mandriva and
openSUSE all started their Project Tardis, Dalek, Cyberman and whatever and
promoting them here?

This is not to say that KDE as shipped on distributions does not need
improving.  To this end I initiated what I humorously term a 'cross-
distribution KDE conspiracy' a couple of weeks ago to get distributions
talking together and coordinating our contributions to KDE.   Distribution
people have been contacted and we've started meeting.  This would fix things
we need like networking, multiple displays, a web 2.0-capable Konq, a
Pulseaudio-capable mixer, a PolKit-kde that works with current Polkit, that no
one KDE distribution team has the manpower to fix on their own (except maybe
Pardus because they're supermen ;)) so we all benefit instead of siphoning off
core KDE efforts to one distro's advantage.

Sourly,

Will Stephenson