List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Folder previes in Dolphin
From:       Rafael =?iso-8859-15?q?Fern=E1ndez_L=F3pez?= <ereslibre () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-16 13:20:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

> I have been wanting a feature in Dolphin for a long time: Folder Previews.
> I would like to add such functionality to Dolphin.........it would look
> kinda like in the screenshot. I think it would be quite useful so you don't
> have to go INTO a folder in order to get an idea of what it contains.
> Comments or suggestions are welcome!

This is KIO who does all this. I have been thinking on this issue for some
time (and some time ago). This is *NOT* trivial at all.

Producing a mockup like yours and also having the idea in general is easy. Now
think about the complexity of the real implementation. You have to handle
different set of icon themes, that meaning that where you have placed the
pictures could be plain wrong when using another icon theme (because the
folder on that iconset can be _completely_ different, maybe an even vertical
folder layout).

So, just my 2 cents. The complexity of this would be amazing till iconsets
provide some information about what "rect" can be filled by the preview code.
However, this would also be wrong, because of the angle that we should give to
the pictures. On your mockup this is wrong for instance.

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.