List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror to inform about hard links?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-29 7:19:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

macintoshzoom wrote:
>Hi Branan,
>
>I think yes it should be possible.
>OpenBSD uses the feature of given several hardlinks to the same file
>(package) when storing the packages it creates, to these folders:
>/usr/ports/packages/i386/all
>/usr/ports/packages/i386/ftp
>/usr/ports/packages/i386/cdrom
>and soemones replicted here:
>/usr/ports/packages/i386/cache
>
>This is going crazy to me.
>
>I don't think it's not possible to know which one is the first/original
>one. OpenBSD must know how to do it when it wants to do something with
>those, deleting, updating, reinstalling (eventually with different
>flavor-s), etc.

It is impossible to know which one is the original. Period.

Can you tell me which one came first in this example you posted? Tell us
which commands you used to find that out.

# cd /usr/ports/packages/i386/cdrom
# ls -i kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
890218 kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
# cd /usr/ports/packages/i386/all
# ls -i kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
890218 kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz

>Did you look at man ln , I can't understand it properly.

Then stop right there. If you're not understanding how ln works, that's
the basis of your problem. You need to first understand what ln is/does
before we can discuss anything.

>Do you know how does manages this question other file managers?
>Krusader, Thunar, Nautilus, rox, xfe?

Yes: they do the same as Konqueror.

>If Unix can build hard links, it can also manage them, I imagine.

Correct. But "manage" is not what you think it is.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358