List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror to inform about hard links?
From:       macintoshzoom <macintoshzoom () lavabit ! com>
Date:       2008-08-29 8:03:06

The question about konqueror not recognizing and informing me about the
existence of the same file (same # inode) hard-linked to different
subfolders is becoming to me a konqueror bug.

The answer of "not possible, period" doesn't likes me. I have learn from
life and from my recent Unix experience that most things are possible.
Another question is to discover them.

Scenario:
As I got out of space when try ¡ng to install a new kde, I just
discovered that my /usr (separately created OpnBSD fs) partition has
some GB of duplicate files, as Konqueror (su) says.

I want to delete some files, to clear space.

Some ones are duplicate ones, in different subfolders, as konqueror said
me.

As I've understood till now thanks to you and to the OpenBSD ports list,
those duplicate files I have just discovered they are just hard links
(they have the same inode #) of the same file in different subfolders.

BUT Konqueror was unable to tell me about that, this is an issue to me.
When requesting Konqueror about used space (properties) of each folder
it doesn't recognize that there are some GB of space that are not really
occupied, but only are from the same file but hard linked to different
subfolders.
This information is vital to me, before I begin to panic about lacking
space. I have already (erroneously) moved some huge folders that I
shouldn't if Konqueror, that I loves a lot, was kindly able to inform me
properly.

My clue and idea:
Konqueror, via a plugin or the like, or enabling this feature somewhere
in a settings menu, could AT LEAST check for duplicate # inode numbered
files and mark them with a specific icon, similar as the soft links or so.
This will (partially) avoid panics as I got with my OpenBSD
/usr/ports/packages folder with several GB of mostly fake occupied space
as many hard-linked files in different subfolders.
And tools as kwikdisk, kdiskfree, kdirstat and the like must also inform
the user about this.

Question:
If I delete one (from konqueror su) of this "duplicate hard linked"
files, will I get back my free space, will all the hard linked files
with the same # inode be deleted at the same time? Or Have i to delete
them one per one?
When I delete the original file that is soft linked somewhere else, the
soft links doesn't work anymore.

Please let me thank you now to all of you folks for your postings, help,
tips and tricks!

Mac