List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Res: Konqueror to inform about hard links?
From:       macintoshzoom <macintoshzoom () lavabit ! com>
Date:       2008-08-29 7:18:38

Hi Daniel,

As I just told Branan,
I think yes it should be possible.
OpenBSD uses the feature of given several hardlinks to the same file
(package) when storing the packages it creates, to these folders:
/usr/ports/packages/i386/all
/usr/ports/packages/i386/ftp
/usr/ports/packages/i386/cdrom
and soemones replicted here:
/usr/ports/packages/i386/cache

This is going crazy to me.

I don't think it's not possible to know which one is the first/original
one. OpenBSD must know how to do it when it wants to do something with
those, deleting, updating, reinstalling (eventually with different
flavor-s), etc.

Did you look at man ln , I can't understand it properly.

Do you know how does manages this question other file managers?
Krusader, Thunar, Nautilus, rox, xfe?

If Unix can build hard links, it can also manage them, I imagine.

Mac.

dantti85-dev@yahoo.com.br wrote:
> Dude hard links cannot be discoverable,
> you are human you look at inodes and see they equal.
> Konqueror don't look at inodes to say this file
> is the same as that one.

Konqueror can do it as i did:
# cd /usr/ports/packages/i386/cdrom
# ls -i kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
890218 kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
# cd /usr/ports/packages/i386/all
# ls -i kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
890218 kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
#
As both have the same inode # 890218, so they are the same file, not
twice space used on my hard drive.

The question is that if this feature is not implemented in konqueror,
does anyone how to patch it to give me this information? and I will add
a different icon from the soft linkk one.

Mac.