List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to get the icon theme used by kde from a non-kde program?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-08-27 9:29:33

Dong Tiger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to get this information from a non-kde program so as to keep the
> appearance consistent. Does anyone know how to do it?

No, I don't know how to do it.  First, the application must follow the
FreeDesktop.org standard for icon themes.  Some popular application like
Firefox don't, so there it is very difficult to add an icon theme.

> And the same problem goes to other Desktop environments like Gnome.

With GNOME, the issue should be simple, just open the GNOME control
center and select the icon theme.

That said, we clearly need an XDG standard for selecting icon themes so
that when you select an icon theme with the control center for the
current desktop that this information will be made available to all
applications that follow the FD.o icon theme standard.

Unfortunately, for this standard to be created, we need the cooperation
of the KDE developers -- something which has been somewhat lacking in
the past.  Also, please note that for this to work that other details
also need to be agreed on such as a standard way for fallback to work
without any hard coding.

--
JRT