List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Improving performance of KDE
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-17 23:56:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17 July 2008, David Boosalis wrote:
> Yes, but my point is the pixmaps are still read into cache one at a time.
> The cache only pays off the second time you access a pixmap, (I believe

correct; so the question is whether cost should be amortized over usage for
just the icons in question or else done all up-front for all icons. we do the
former right now, and the results are pretty good imho.

one could pre-populate the cache as well, of course.

> Icons are not  the only culprit, *.desktop files, hundreds if not thousands
> of them.

we also cache .desktop files (all at once, in fact, not as read)

> And plugins that read and parse xml files.

this one we don't do anything for.

> Maybe it is time to rethink
> the current  paradigm for storing and retrieving resources.

with SSDs coming, probably not worth a complete rethink imho =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se