List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Improving performance of KDE
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2008-07-18 2:46:47

On Thursday 17 July 2008 03:32:16 pm David Boosalis wrote:
> Yes, but my point is the pixmaps are still read into cache one at a time.
> The cache only pays off the second time you access a pixmap, (I believe
> this is correct)

I think most icons are going to be shared. I don't have any cache metrics (nor
the desire to generate any), but I suspect that unique icons are not a
performance problem.

> Icons are not  the only culprit, *.desktop files, hundreds if not thousands
> of them.  And plugins that read and parse xml files.  We are in an
> environment where memory is cheap and fast.  Maybe it is time to rethink
> the current  paradigm for storing and retrieving resources.

I think this is a system administration issue, more than a desktop issue. A
sysadmin could set this up in a script fairly easily, but it becomes a thorny
problem when the desktop needs to handle different memory filesystems for
various operating systems, figure out how much memory to steal from the user,
etc.

--
David Johnson