List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Improving performance of KDE
From:       "David Boosalis" <david.boosalis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-17 22:32:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Yes, but my point is the pixmaps are still read into cache one at a time.
The cache only pays off the second time you access a pixmap, (I believe this
is correct)   I am thinking  to load all the pixmaps at once into memory.
The trick would be to store all the pixmaps to a virtual file system as I
have done or store them all into one giant file and load that.  How we could
do this would require a little thought.   Memory is cheap, but disk access
hasn't changed much in ten years or more.

I am just thinking aloud here as doing disk operations really slows down
performance. Duel  Core, Quad Core, none of that helps when you are waiting
on the disk that operates a thousand times slower then memory access.

Icons are not  the only culprit, *.desktop files, hundreds if not thousands
of them.  And plugins that read and parse xml files.  We are in an
environment where memory is cheap and fast.  Maybe it is time to rethink the
current  paradigm for storing and retrieving resources.

.