List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to spawn a konsole from another app?
From:       Robin Atwood <robin.atwood () attglobal ! net>
Date:       2008-03-08 11:49:17

On Saturday 08 Mar 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2008, Robin Atwood wrote:
> > *proc << "konsole";
> > *proc << "--noclose" << "--nomenubar" << "--notabbar" << "--noframe"
> > << "--vt_sz" << size <<	 "-T \"" + cmd + "\"" << "-e" << cmd;
>
> hm. so you want/need more than just a "show it in a terminal", you also
> want to control the look of it. so .. it wouldn't've helped you
> particularly. since the terminal application is customizable, it's not
> really feasible to do this.
>
> in fact, the command line as crafted above won't work with kde4's konsole
> either, as most of those command line switches are not supported in kde4's
> konsole. that sounds like a bit of an oversight since it can rather easily
> break scripts and apps such as youre ... at worst it should at least still
> run and just ignore the option, maybe offer a warning?

Perhaps I should explain my requirement more fully. What I started with was a
KMessageBox::informationList() to show the output of a Gentoo
"/etc/init.d/some_task start|stop|etc". The output turned out to be full of
bash formatting characters which, in the general case, were impossible to
filter out. So I used a konsole with the above options to have a kind of
message widget which understood bash formatting. Consider starting bluetooth:

 # /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
 * Starting Bluetooth ...
 *     Starting hcid ...                                                [ ok ]
 *     Starting rfcomm ...                                           [ ok ]

The left hand sides of the messages appear first, all of them. Then the
place! So a konsole seemed to be the only neat way to display the output.

HTH
-Robin