List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to spawn a konsole from another app?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-03-08 10:06:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 07 March 2008, Robin Atwood wrote:
> On Saturday 08 Mar 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Friday 07 March 2008, Robin Atwood wrote:
> > > I want to execute a bash script and display the results to the user.
> > > Since
> >
> > would the attached patch have made your life easier/better? if so, i'll
> > submit it to kde-core-devel for approval.
>
> Indeed! Although I would want to pass more parameters to konsole, since I
> currently have:
>
> *proc << "konsole";
> *proc << "--noclose" << "--nomenubar" << "--notabbar" << "--noframe"
> << "--vt_sz" << size <<	 "-T \"" + cmd + "\"" << "-e" << cmd;

hm. so you want/need more than just a "show it in a terminal", you also want
to control the look of it. so .. it wouldn't've helped you particularly.
since the terminal application is customizable, it's not really feasible to
do this.

in fact, the command line as crafted above won't work with kde4's konsole
either, as most of those command line switches are not supported in kde4's
konsole. that sounds like a bit of an oversight since it can rather easily
break scripts and apps such as youre ... at worst it should at least still
run and just ignore the option, maybe offer a warning?

CC'ing Robert on this point...

> Also, in your patch I don't see where "exec" gets used.

yeah, once i actually tested it that was apparent ;) it's supposed to be
passed through KShell::splitArgs ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se