List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: start_kdeinit
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-03-08 11:43:59

On Friday 07 of March 2008, Michael Lacher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some questions regarding the inner workings of start_kdeinit and
> kdeinit. If this is not the correct list to ask these questions, please
> point me to the correct place.
>
> We develop an RDP server for linux, which contains a custom built X11
> server (based on XOrg 7.2). So far KDE was running fine on our system,
> but on some newer distros start_kdeinit (or rather kdeinit when started
> through start_kdeinit) seems to hang forever. This only happens when KDE
> is started with our X11 server as display, but works fine for normal
> console sessions. This problem has been confirmed to be on at least
> OpenSUSE 10.2 (KDE 3.5.7 i believe) and Fedora 8 (KDE 3.5.9).
>
> My questions are:
> * what is kdeinit doing differently when started through start_kdeinit
> and how could a different X11 server cause it to block forever?

 Have a look yourself:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdelibs/kinit/start_kdeinit.c?view=markup

 Not much more than being a setuid wrapper and opening a pipe.

> * Does this configuration need a special extension (not all X11
> extenions are available on our server) ?

 No.

> * Does this configuration need special rights (startkde is executed as
> user, not as root) ?

 Yes, but it shouldn't fail without.

> * Does this configuration need access to a working console, ... ?

 I don't think so.

> * Most importantly: is there a way to avoid this without a custom KDE ?
> I already figured out that replacing start_kdeinit with kdeinit works,
> but this is not a feasiable solution.

 Without changing KDE? No. The launch is hardcoded in startkde.

 Why don't you simply try to find out more about the actual problem, other
than 'seems to hang forever'?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer