List:       kde-devel
Subject:    start_kdeinit
From:       Michael Lacher <michael.lacher () thinstuff ! com>
Date:       2008-03-07 9:16:31

Hello,

I have some questions regarding the inner workings of start_kdeinit and
kdeinit. If this is not the correct list to ask these questions, please
point me to the correct place.

We develop an RDP server for linux, which contains a custom built X11
server (based on XOrg 7.2). So far KDE was running fine on our system,
but on some newer distros start_kdeinit (or rather kdeinit when started
through start_kdeinit) seems to hang forever. This only happens when KDE
is started with our X11 server as display, but works fine for normal
console sessions. This problem has been confirmed to be on at least
OpenSUSE 10.2 (KDE 3.5.7 i believe) and Fedora 8 (KDE 3.5.9).

My questions are:
* what is kdeinit doing differently when started through start_kdeinit
and how could a different X11 server cause it to block forever?
* Does this configuration need a special extension (not all X11
extenions are available on our server) ?
* Does this configuration need special rights (startkde is executed as
user, not as root) ?
* Does this configuration need access to a working console, ... ?
* Most importantly: is there a way to avoid this without a custom KDE ?
I already figured out that replacing start_kdeinit with kdeinit works,
but this is not a feasiable solution.

regards,
Michael
--