List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Working on KDE3 or KDE4?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-06-23 23:29:25

Joshua Rogers wrote:
> Haha!  I just changed my title to something a little more fitting:
> thejanitor@geektownhall.com.  I might do that just yet.  :P
>
> Anyway, thank you for your responses.  You are all obviously better
> verse in K development than I.  I must admit though that I have an
> equal number of responses for each.  It does make it a little bit
> harder.  If I try and work on KDE 3.x am I going to have to relearn
> everything for 4?

Bug triage will be exactly the same for KDE4 as for KDE3.  If you are
fixing bugs, you will need to learn two new libraries for KDE4 which
will be similar in many respects but which will not be exactly the same
-- some parts have changed more than others.

> If I do go with 3, at what point on the development timeline should I
> move to 4.

I would suggest that you do so when the first Release Candidate appears.
  This is when fixing bugs is most important.  At that point, it will be
stable enough to triage bugs against, although you should still not
presume that if a bug is fixed in RC1 that it will still be fixed in
RC2.  You should watch this.

> Ultimately my question still exists, should I attempt to squash bugs
> on KDE 3 or 4?

It depends a lot on whether you intend to just triage bugs, or actually
fix them.  If you can actually fix bugs, then work on KDE4 if you like.
  But, it is easier to fix bugs on a stable release which would mean
working on KDE3.  OTOH, some parts of KDE4 are stable -- the code isn't
changed every day but rather stays the same for a week or more.

But, if you are only going to triage bugs, then please work on the large
backlog of bugs for KDE3.  I admit that this is a thankless job, but
somebody has to do it and you will gain a great deal of experience with
KDE by working on it.

>   Sorry about my persistence.

No problem.

--